04 June 2010

Moving Onwards

My travels have taken me to many parts of the world.  The only way I can make a difference, to assist just a few people in need, is to be in tune with where I am now and live a simple life. Do you do the same?





I am not sure if the woman above, in my African picture from 1994, saw herself as rich or poor, or happy or unhappy. I wonder how she is today? How are her family? What might their lives be like?






I wonder how much more traffic congestion there is on the streets of India since I took the above picture in 1985. Does Jaipur still have charm (something I would not like to see changed)? Is there still the mixture of poverty and opulence that I witnessed (something I would like to see changed)?






How much has changed for the better or for worse in Iran since I was there in 1985? What hopes for the future might this woman have had? Perhaps her children and grandchildren are contented with their lives today. Who am I to know one way or the other?






The two little boys in my picture above, taken in Nepal also in 1985, may be adults now but there is a possibility they have not survived. It is something I will probably never know. Were they happy and successful in school? Did their parents have the means to support them adequately? Perhaps they now have children of their own.






And what of the people of Pakistan? They were certainly mostly very pleasant to me in 1985. Would they be the same now if I travelled from Iran to India through their country in the months ahead, just as I did in the 1980s?

I wish transport companies in Australia would have the artistic inclinations of Pakistani truck owners. I am not sure if the people of Pakistan still make their vehicles into works of art. Do you?






In contrast to my explorations of southern Africa, on the back of a truck in 1994, I also travelled in style across Switzerland only a few weeks later. I love cruising on the beautiful turquoise waters of the lakes, looking up at the mountains and enjoying the architectural treasures of the country. I had a first-class pass for the boats and trains.

There is probably quite a lot of poverty and despair in Switzerland, even with its reputation as a financial centre. I climbed some steps in Bern in 1994 and found my way partly blocked by a couple of heroin addicts who were injecting themselves.

I also felt uneasy around the railway stations in some of the larger Swiss towns. Would I feel more comfortable in Switzerland today?

Even in Australia, my home, I can still feel unsafe or uncomfortable at times. It is probably quite common to feel disillusioned or fearful when hearing the news media's headlines, or hearing a speeding driver nearby.

I know that at heart I am probably not a city person, even though I have spent much of my adulthood in some of the larger cities of the world. I would probably also feel out of place in a very small town that is devoid of cultural diversity, educational opportunities, and well-read and well-travelled neighbours.






This picture, above, is of Mow Cop in England. It is a landmark that I think of as part of my own heritage, especially as it is one of the most interesting places I see near my mother's home when I return to England and when I leave. I took the above picture when I was returning to Australia in 2005, having just said goodbye to my mother, not knowing when I would next see her.

Mow Cop, in contrast to many other tourist attractions, began as a fake and became something of real worth. It started as a folly, built in the mid 1700s as a summerhouse for a wealthy landowner. It resembles the ruins of a non-existent medieval castle and now is genuinely worth visiting, even just for the views over the surrounding countryside.

Today, though, I must move onwards. But where to next? I really do like to stay quietly at home, here in the town of Dorothea. My journey will probably take me no further than the Internet for much of the time, as I shape and reshape my work as a writer, researcher and social entrepreneur.






I wonder how many people now spend their afternoons leisurely sipping wine in Piazza Navona in Rome. When I took the above picture in June 2007, I had no awareness that there was such a thing as a subprime mortgage. I am fortunate in that I have never lived in debt, nor travelled in debt.

Yet I don't know what the future holds. I try to live within my means. It is quite easy really to choose a simple life, at least it is for me.

As someone who has already travelled widely, and someone who has already had twenty wonderful years of married life, my aim is to give hope to others who are trying to overcome despair, difficult relationships and other challenges.

Perhaps you have a better understanding of the world than I do. I hope you do...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.